American Chopsuey is a delightful preparation of crispy noodles served with vegetables and a sweet and tangy sauce. I have had this dish only in India and have loved it over the years, never in America actually. It is served as a Chinese dish in India, with the name America, but the recipe is entirely Indian, except maybe for the noodles. I wonder where did it get this funky name from.
Anyways, here is a quick recipe for the same:
- 1 packet Hakka Noodles
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 1 bunch of Green Onions Chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper Sliced (Can use colored bell peppers as well)
- 1 small bowl of Cabbage Chopped
- 2 Tomatoes Sliced
- Tomato Ketchup
- Hot Sauce
- Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- Boil the noodles.
- Take some noodles, say 15%, and deep fry them making some crispy noodles on the side.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds until they begin to crackle.
- Add onions to it. Saute them till the onions turn pink. Add little salt.
- Now add bell peppers. Continue to saute until the peppers are soft.
- Now add the cabbage and green onions to it.
- Once the cabbage is cooked, add the tomatoes.
- Add about 2-3 glasses of water and mix it well and continue cooking it for 5-10 mins
- Now add the ketchup, black pepper and salt
- Add hot sauce according to the desired spiciness
- Now mix the corn flour in cold water and add it to the pan
- Mix it well and let it simmer for 5 mins on slow-medium heat
- Once the sauce thickens, add the lemon juice and vinegar
- Take it off the heat.
- Garnish it with spring onions and fried noodles and serve hot.
Hope you enjoy this my version of the American Chopsuey.